What Second Career gives you
You can get new skills – those needed for jobs in demand now – and financial support when you qualify for Second Career.
Apply for up to $28,000 for costs including:
- manuals, workbooks or other instructional costs
- basic living allowance (maximum $410 per week)
- child care
How you qualify for Second Career
As a start, you qualify for Second Career when:
- you have been laid off and have not been working
- you have been laid off and are working a temporary job just to cover costs
If you’re receiving Employment Insurance (EI), or have in the past, you can still apply.
When preparing your application, you also have to show:
- how long you have been unemployed, or working your temporary job, and looking for work
- places you have applied and positions you have applied for (e.g. cover letters, CV and responses from potential employers)
- what level of education you reached
- where you worked before, for how long and what skills you needed for that work
- what skills you want to get and where you can get trained in them
- information showing the skills and job you want to train for are in demand
What you pay into Second Career
When you apply to Second Career, you have to show the costs to be covered during training.
You may have to pay part of these costs yourself. The amount you’ll have to pay is based on several things, starting with your gross (before tax) household income.
You must provide information about:
- your income
- your household income (e.g. spouse)
- current expenses
You must research at least three training institutions to make sure they offer the training you need. Make sure to include:
- at least one college of applied arts and technology
- at least one private career college
Job market information
You must show that the skills you want to get – and the work you want to do – are needed by employers. This can be shown through:
- job postings
- news of future job opportunities (e.g. office expansion, new company)
Applying to Second Career
You are at the right place! We are here to assist you with Second Career evaluation and application. Please call us at 905-273-6788 to make an appointment. 100% free service.